You can also prepare a baby gift list. Your friends’ and family’s money will be better spent if you do. You can send your list out with the birth announcement or baby shower invitations or give it to your best friend to organise for you and exchange any unwanted gifts for something useful.
The Golden rules of buying on a budget for a new baby?
- Prepare a baby gift list to give to friends and relatives when they ask you what you would like.
- Ask friends and family what they found really useful and read our buying guides to help you decide on a purchase.
- Assume that all gadgets and gismos are a waste of money until proved otherwise.
- Buy in bulk whenever you see BOGOF or three-for-two offers.
- Find out when shops have sales.
- Ask yourself a question with every purchase. Is it really essential?
- Only buy new when safety issues are involved .
- Return unwanted gifts. Most shops oblige.
- Tell friends and family that you want hand-me-downs.
- Visit and use your local library and toy library.
- Borrow items if possible.
- Buy second-hand from nearly new sales, car boot sales or eBay